Stratford Village 

The areas original name was Shirley House Estate, composed of eight streets of two-up, two down cottage style terraces built in 1892 for a former population of railway workers. The name Stratford Village was originally devised by local resident Jan Skeates in 1989 (who was at the time in her twenties) as the name for the newly formed residents’ association. The name Stratford Village was also soon taken up by estate agents keen to cash in on the economic boom in the 90’s property market and later Olympic developments. Over the years new residents of Straford Village began to assume this was the area’s original name, so now this name is fixed to nine streets: Aldworth, Faringford, Glenavon, Maiden, Shirley, Tennyson, Vernon, White, and Worland Roads.